Istana Yogyakarta, known as Gedung Agung, lies in the heart of the city, on the
southward of Jalan Akhmad Yani. The state palace is located on Ngupasan, sub district
The main building of this palace was built on May 1824 by Anthony Hendriks Smissaerat,
the Residency of Yogyakarta o the 18 (1823 - 1825). He was the man who insisted
to create an elegant palace for the Dutch residences. Its architect was A Payen.
Because of the war of Diponegoro or known as the war of Java (1825-1830), its
development was delayed. Later on 1832, its establishment was finished. On June
10, 1867, this Dutch residence was destroyed by the earthquake. The new building
that became the main building of this complex was built in 1869. It is now recognized
as the State Building.
On December 19, 1927, the regional status of Yogyakarta as karesidenan was changed
into province where a Governor as the leader.
On January 6, 1946, Yogyakarta was chosen as the capital city of the young Indonesia.
This building was used as the President palace, the residence of President Soekarno
and family. The vice President Mohammad Hatta lived in a building that recently
is office of Korem 072/Pamungkas. Since that time, this palace became the history
witness of many great events during the establishment of Indonesia. One of the
greatest events was the inauguration of General Sudirman as the Great General
of TNI on June 3, 1947.
On December 19, 1948, Yogyakarta was attacked by the Dutch under the command
of General Spoor. President, vice President were isolated to the outsideof Java
and returned on July 6, 1949.
Since Desember 28, 1949, when President moved to Jakarta, this palace was no
longer used as the residence of President.
The palace of Yogyakarta or Gedung Agung, is the same as the palace of President.
It also used as a place to welcome the guests of state. Since August 17, 1991,
this palace was used to commemorate the seconds of Independence Day and the Twilight
Parade every 17 since April 17, 1988.